Miso SoupMar 09, 2021
Photograph by Lea Haas
Miso is my all-time favorite soup and a staple around here. It is an unsung hero for gut health and healing — full of natural probiotics. But it is often made with fish stock — which is why we created the most delicious vegan version that will warm and balance you. I feel like I am absorbing all the nutrition in each spoonful.
- 4 cups of water Safflower oil
- 2 carrots (sliced)
- 1/4 small onion sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic
- Fresh ginger (1 inch piece chopped)
- 1/2 cabbage sliced
- 6-8 mushrooms (sliced) Button, Cremini, Shiitake
- 1/4 cup white miso paste
- In a soup pot sauté all veggies till browning begins
- Add water, bring to a boil
- Lower to a simmer
- Take 1 cup of the boiled water and mix with the miso — stir until smooth, then pour back into the pot.
- Keep on stove for 10-15 minutes and it is ready to serve.
Add in silken tofu cubes, seaweed, scallion
Note: If you find it too mild add more miso.
—Lea Haas, Owner, The Garden Café Woodstock