Coconut Red Thai CurrySep 01, 2021
Photographs by Lea Haas
Something smells good in the kitchen! This simple, yet delicious dish packs a punch of flavor, aroma, a palette of color and health benefits
Something smells good in the kitchen! This simple, yet delicious dish packs a punch of flavor, aroma, a palette of color and health benefits. It will also garner kudos from anyone fortunate enough to be invited for dinner. Bon Appetit!
Note: This curry can be served over rice, rice noodles or made as a soup.
- (1) 4 oz. jar Thai red curry paste
- (2) 13.66 oz. cans of Thai coconut milk
- 1 small cabbage head or 1/2 of large cabbage, sliced
- 2” peeled ginger, chopped
- 6 gloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup tamari
- 2 TBS sugar
- 1 lime zest & juice
- Coconut oil to sauté
- In a large pot or pan sauté garlic and ginger in coconut oil until golden. Add in lime zest and squeeze in the juice.
- Stir in the cabbage until wilted and tender, add sugar and soy sauce.
- Add the Thai curry paste and coconut milk.
- Simmer for a minimum of 20 minutes. Taste. Can add water or vegetable stock if wanting it more of a broth.
I serve this with zucchini and mixed peppers; red, orange and yellow. I slice the peppers into strips, and quarter and chop the zucchini. When served over noodles, I also like to add asparagus on top (steamed, sauteed or grilled). Experiment and add your favorite vegetables.
Keep your veggies separate until ready to serve, you can add it to the pot a few minutes before to get warm.
Season to taste with salt and pepper.
— Lea Haas, Owner, The Garden Cafe Woodstock