Recipe: Garden BorschtApr 02, 2018
A garden fresh, classic beet soup that's filled with nutrients and comforting to the soul
—Christine Moss, Chef, The Garden Café Woodstock
*Wash & scrub all vegetables and cut into bite size cubes & chunks
- 1 bunch Fresh Beets with tops washed and roughly chopped (It’s ok to use older beets too, just peel them first)
- Beet greens 2-3 cloves of Garlic smashed and diced
- 2-3 Potatoes (yukon gold, red or russet)
- 1-2 Carrots
- 3-4 stalks of Celery- leaves and all
- 3-4 Spring onions (or scallions)-bulbs and green tops roughly chopped
- Fresh dill (optional, but tasty)
- About 1 teaspoon each Thyme, black pepper, cumin and salt
In a large sized soup pot coat the bottom with olive oil and saute onions, garlic, herbs and celery until tender. (About 10 minutes)
Add in beets carrots and potatoes and a teaspoon of salt to help bring out the flavors and continue to sauté until they start to soften. (About 20 minutes)
Add water to cover, bring to a boil then lower to a simmer for another 20 minutes.
Add salt to taste if necessary. Once nearly done, add in chopped greens.
Serve hot with fresh dill and v. sour cream
- Try to keep the sizes of your chopped vegetables the same so they will be done together at the same time.
- The larger the pieces, the more time they will need to cook, not a bad thing just something to be aware of.