French Green Lentil and Sunflower Seed HummusMar 27, 2019
—Chef Christine Moss, The Garden Cafe Woodstock
A fresh take on a traditional hummus recipe, that adds both diverse nutrients and a coarse texture that delights the palate.
French lentils are the smaller, green, freckled legumes that possess a peppery punch taste. They are high in protein, manganese, folate and iron. Sunflower seeds are rich with vitamin E and minerals as well.
- 4 cups cooked French Green Lentils (about 1 ½ cups dry)
- 1 cup raw sunflower seeds soaked for 1 hour and drained
- ¾ cup olive oil
- 1-2 cloves fresh peeled garlic
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp salt (more if needed for taste)
- ¼ cup water
- Sort and rinse the lentils until the water runs clear. Cook in 1 quart boiling unsalted water for 20 minutes until tender but still holding its shape. Drain and rinse under cool water.
- Place all of the ingredients, cooked lentils, sunflower seeds, olive oil, garlic, cumin, salt, pepper and water into a food processor.
- Pulse in the food processor until it forms a chunky paste. Scrape down the sides with a rubber spatula and pulse a few more times to blend together.
Serve drizzled with olive oil and raw sunflower seeds on a plate garnished with spicy arugula leaves. YUM! Grab your favorite chips and get this party started!