Marinara Sauce You’ll Want to Eat with a Spoon (Not Even Kidding)May 06, 2023
An oldie but a goodie, our classic marinara sauce recently got an irresistible upgrade
Jairo, our line chef recently chimed in with his culinary skills and took our recipe and combined it with a bit more garlic and lots of creamy cashew to make this the most decadent and delicious pasta...we kid you not! Within just a few weeks, it’s become a cult favorite around here. It’s why we decided to share it here.
- 1 can 24 oz. organic crushed tomatoes
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 small Spanish onion, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic (2-4 tsp put to the side to sauté when adding cashew cream)
- 1 Tbsp thyme
- 1 Tbsp oregano
- Olive oil to sauté
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp cane sugar
- In a pot, sauté all vegetables till golden. Add salt, pepper and herbs.
- Add crushed tomatoes.
- Cook on stove top for an hour, low heat.
- 2 cups cashews (soak in hot water for an hour or cold water overnight)
- Add cashews into blender with a little bit of the water it had soaked in.
- As you blend, continue to add water as needed if it is stuck blending, but be careful not to make it too thin.
- Prepare pasta of your choice
- In a pan, sauté garlic in olive oil until light brown
- Add a dash of salt, 1/2 cup of cashew cream
- Stir until the cream is warmed up then add 1 ½ cups of marinara
- Add pasta and serve
—Lea Haas, Owner, The Garden Cafe Woodstock