Recipe: Black Strap Molasses Spice CakeDec 02, 2019
Sweeten your transition to winter with a flavorful, nutrient-filled, sugar alternative Black Strap Molasses Spice Cake. Embrace the sweetness of the new season!
- 2 ½ cup Unbleached All-Purpose Flour sifted
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 TBSP Powdered Ginger
- 2 tsp Powdered Cinnamon
- ½ tsp Powdered Cloves
- ½ tsp Salt
- Powdered Sugar for serving topping
- ¾ cup Olive Oil
- ⅔ cup Molasses
- ⅔ cup Maple Syrup
- ¾ cup full fat Coconut Milk
- 1 TBSP freshly grated Lemon Zest
- 1 TBSP Vanilla
- 1 TBSP Apple Cider Vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Grease (1) 8” cake pan or Bundt pan with olive oil
- Measure out and combine all of your dry ingredients into a mixing bowl. Whisk together until fully blended.
- In a second mixing bowl, measure out and combine all of your wet ingredients. Whisk together until fully blended.
- Pour your wet ingredients into the bowl with the blended dry ingredients.
- Mix together until you have a thick batter and then stop. Do not over mix.
- Pour into the prepared cake pan and place into the preheated oven.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes. Check halfway through and turn the pan halfway so it bakes evenly.
- Test for doneness by inserting a toothpick. If it comes out clean it is done.
- Serve topped with blood orange marmalade (You can find a recipe for that here) and/or powdered sugar and cinnamon.
~ Chef Christine Moss, The Garden Cafe Woodstock