Pistachio Sugar CookiesApr 03, 2023
Inspired by the buttery flavor of pistachios, we share a favorite sugar cookie recipe that's sure to please!
I love pistachios, not just the beautiful green hue they impart to dishes, but their buttery flavor is amazing. A simple sauce for over your tofu or polenta takes only a handful of pistachios, a pinch of salt and just enough water (about ¼ cup of water to 1 cup of nuts) to blend into a creamy paste in the blender. Add a spoonful of vegan sour cream or vegan butter to bring it over the edge of delicious! Use pistachios instead of walnuts or pine nuts in your favorite pesto recipe to change things up.
Native to central Asia, pistachios grow in beautiful grape-like clusters called drupes and they are a member of the cashew family. The trees have a lifespan of up to 300 years. They are lower in calories than walnuts and pecans and contain a great amount of protein and amino acids, trace minerals and vitamin B6 (as if we needed any more reasons to eat them!).
For this recipe, use raw unsalted pistachios. They will get their toasty flavor as they bake in the cookie.
- 1 ½ cups vegan butter (sticks, not whipped)
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 1 TBSP vanilla extract
- 4 cups all purpose unbleached flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¾ cup water
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup raw pistachios roughly chopped
- ¼ cup vegan chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- With a whisk or electric mixer whip together the vegan butter and sugar until well blended and creamy. Add in the vanilla and blend thoroughly.
- Sift the flour into a mixing bowl with the salt and baking powder.
- Spoon the butter and sugar mixture into the flour and mix together. Add a little water at a time until it forms a uniform dough.
- Roll the dough into 2 separate log shapes about 1 ½” in diameter. Wrap with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours or overnight. It can also be frozen and kept up to 4 months before use.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and spray lightly with oil to prevent sticking.
- Mix together the chopped pistachios and chocolate chips in a shallow dish.
- Unwrap the chilled dough and slice into ½ inch thick disks. Press the cookie dough into the pistachios and chocolate chips and then place onto the cookie sheet. Repeat, leaving about 2” space between each cookie until the baking sheet is full.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until a little browned around the edges and firm in the center.