Sweet Potato and Black Bean SaladJun 26, 2019
Photograph by Christine Moss
A new take on a summer classic and Bahamian staple with her tangy fresh Sweet Potato & Black Bean Salad
- 5 lbs. sweet potatoes peeled and cut into ½” cubes
- 1 can (15 oz) cooked black beans rinsed clean
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 3-4 scallions thinly sliced
- 1 small bunch cilantro washed and roughly chopped
- Juice of 2 limes (or about 2 TBSP)
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. cumin
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
Preheat oven to 375F
- Peel and cube sweet potatoes
- Rinse off the peeled and cubed sweet potatoes and toss in a bowl with the olive oil, salt, pepper, cumin and cinnamon until coated.
- Roast the seasoned potatoes in a baking dish covered with foil for 25-30 minutes. Remove the foil and roast an additional 8-10 minutes. You want the potatoes thoroughly cooked, but still firm.
- Allow the potatoes to cool down to room temperature.
- In a large bowl place the beans, diced red pepper, scallions, cilantro and lime juice. Mix together and then add in the cooked sweet potatoes and all of the spiced oil that will be in the bottom of the pan. Mix together gently and taste.
- Add more salt if needed.
Serve at room temperature or chilled.
—Chef Christine Moss, The Garden Cafe Woodstock