White Bean and Rosemary SoupMay 31, 2019
Photographs by Christine Moss
A simple, yet deceptively rich and savory vegan bean soup infused with herbs of rosemary and thyme
~Chef Christine Moss, The Garden Cafe Woodstock
- 2 cans organic Great Northern Beans, with liquid
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 1 spanish onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 small carrot washed, not peeled and cut into chunks
- 3 TBSP Olive Oil
- 4 cups vegetable stock (see TIPS for a simple recipe to make your own)
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 TBSP dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 Tsp salt
- 1 Tsp black pepper
Rosemary infused olive oil
- Pour the olive oil into the bottom of a soup pot. Sauté the onion, garlic, celery and carrots for 10-12 minutes on a medium flame until they begin to get tender.
- Add in the 2 cans of white beans along with the liquid in the cans. Stir together for about 1-2 minutes.
- Add in the dried thyme, bay leaves, salt and pepper. Continue to stir.
- Pour in the vegetable stock, increase the heat and bring the pot to a boil.
- Once it reaches a boil, reduce the flame to low and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir every so often from the bottom.
- Bruise and crush the sprig of rosemary between your fingers and add it to the pot. Continue to simmer for another 5-6 minutes, stirring 2-3 times.
- Remove from the heat and let it rest for 5 minutes before serving. Taste and add more salt and pepper as needed.
- Drizzle olive oil (rosemary infused if you have made some) over the top of each bowl.